It is beginning to look a lot like Christmas. The lights are up in the neighborhood, presents nestled under the beautifully decorated trees, and the chimneys are a smokin’. The scents of pine and cinnamon apple pie are illuminating through our warm homes.
With the cozy vibes of the holidays, also comes serious hazards. A few things to be aware of this holiday season:
If you are like me, you absolutely love a fireplace during the winter. Make sure to clean your chimney at the beginning of the season. Also, it is wise to have a glass or wire shield in front of the fire to prohibit sparks from flying out of the fire… and on to your beautifully wrapped presents.
For anyone who has a live tree: make sure to keep it watered.When trees go thirsty, they catch fire much faster.
When lighting your tree, mantle or your home, check your string lights for any frayed wires. Make sure to turn lights off when leaving the house or going to bed
Plug space heater directly into its own socket. Do not plug in to a full powerstrip.
Be careful with candle placement. Flameless candles are a great option if you have little ones running the house.
Think smart and be safe during this holiday season!